Connect with us

News

Sexual scandal instead of charity help. Oxfam apologizes to Haiti

Published

on

We came here to convey our shame and apologize to the Haitian government and nation – said the representatives of the British charity Oxfam, who specifically came to the meeting with the Haitian authorities in Port-au-Prince. Oxfam employees were involved in the sexual scandals that occurred during the aid mission in Haiti in 2011.

At a hearing held by the Haitian minister of planning and cooperation with foreigners, Aviola Fleuranta, Oxfam’s director for Latin America and the Caribbean Simon Ticehurst said: – We came here to share the results of the [internal] report with the Ministry and to convey our shame and apologize to the Haitian government and nation for what happened.

The delegation answered the questions asked by the minister for over two hours. “We will now ask you to provide us with all kinds of reports, audits, financial reports,” Fleurant said. He announced that if the ministry did not receive them, he would call again for the hearing of the regional director of Oxfam.

Seven employees left work

Earlier on Monday, the organization published a partially censored version of the 2011 internal report. It states that the then Oxfam director in Haiti, Roland Van Hauwermeiren, admitted to using the services of prostitutes for the company’s money.

The organization’s facilities were established in Haiti after the tragic 2010 earthquake that led to the death of over 200,000 people and enormous damage. The document developed as a result of the internal investigation of Oxfam does not exclude the employment of female minors for sexual purposes.

According to a report by seven employees of the Oxfam branch in Haiti, they left work due to the investigation. In addition to using the services of prostitutes, some of them were also to harass and intimidate – especially their co-workers.

Media: orgy in the organization’s shirts

British Prime Minister Theresa May has reacted to reports, calling them “really terrifying”. She assessed that the behaviors described in the report “are far from the standards that can be expected from charitable and non-governmental organizations” cooperating with the authorities of the United Kingdom. Reports of sexual scandal in Oxfam came to light at the beginning of February.

The source cited by the British newspaper “Times” spoke, among other things, about a film that shows an orgy with the participation of prostitutes in T-shirts with the logo of the organization.

The AFP agency stressed that the internal findings of the Oxfam investigation were reported to London on a regular basis, but the Haitian authorities only learned about the scandal through press reports.

They operate in 90 countries

Oxfam said that the publication of the report was decided “to be as transparent as possible”. It was reported that the suspects’ data was transferred to the appropriate authorities and that the full version of the document would go to the authorities of Haiti, who want to conduct their own investigation.

Last week, this NGO presented a plan of action to prevent further sexual abuse. The British Ministry for International Development has obliged any organization that uses public funds, including Oxfam, to submit a report by 26 February on anti-fraud measures. – We will not work with anyone who does not meet the high standards set by us – declared Prime Minister May.

Oxfam, existing since 1942, is one of the largest charities in the world, which under the same brand brings together 20 smaller entities and operates in over 90 countries around the world. Every year, the organization receives about 32 million pounds  from the UK budget and around 68 million euros from the European Commission, which are used to finance development assistance projects in poorer countries.

Your website that provides a news with difference, ranging from Sports news, entertainment news, tech news, local and world news. Send us an email info@theliteraryfair.com

Your website that provides a news with difference, ranging from Sports news, entertainment news, tech news, local and world news. Send us an email info@theliteraryfair.com

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Local

Horror in Ukana as Woman’s arms cut off at Akpabio’s house during illegal registration

Published

on

Woman’s arms cut off at Akpabio’s house during illegal registration… abandoned to her fate She was one of the women called to Senator Godswill Akapbio’s house in Ukana for what many present called an illegal registration exercise. She was promised a little over three thousand and like others who may not have known what they were being invited to do, she went innocently, the attraction being the measly three thousand naira she was promised. “We were shocked when we saw people engaging in what I believe was an illegal registration exercise. There were machines all over the place, and Godswill Akpabio who had just returned from a trip outside the State was seen dishing out instructions. Some of us left the house shortly after we discovered they were asking us to register for the APC. We told them we already are card-carrying members of the PDP and that we couldn’t not sell our conscience. As that innocent lady made to leave, the gate at Senator Akpabio’s house slammed against her and her arm was cut off immediately. She started crying and writhing in pains, but to our shock, the security officers pushed her out of the house while blood was dripping all over her. I have never seen such inhumanity to a fellow person. Goodwill Akpabio was notified but he refused to come to the woman’s assistance. We had to pull our little resources to take the woman to the hospital. This is so sad. And it leaves me wondering: is this the kind of change Akpabio’s APC is bringing to Akwa Ibom: wickedness, horror and terror? May God not allow the counsel of the wicked to prevail. Akwa Ibom people must tell Godswill akpabio: no more blood-letting, enough!

Journalism graduate from the University of Tel Aviv, Israel. Writing Tech News, General life stuffs and Fashion.

Email me:  tanyasmart@theliteraryfair.com

Continue Reading

News

Germany officially introduces the third sex.

Published

on

In the German register of civil status records, an additional option will appear next to the male and female gender. You will be able to choose  “divers”, meaning “different” or “non-identical”.

The German government cabinet has proposed amendments to the law on the register of civil status records. Under it, intersexual people will be able to choose the third password in the “sex” section in the future. Until now, it was only possible to leave this column unfulfilled by employees of the civil registry office. According to the German Ministry of Interior, this option will still be retained.

German Cabinet approves third gender option

Judgment of the Constitutional Tribunal

The draft amendment to the act, which will have to be approved by the parliament, is based on the ruling of the Federal Constitutional Court of 2017. It states that the existing provisions on marital status contain provisions allowing to recognize them as a violation of the fundamental right to protection and development of their own personality and violation of the prohibition of discrimination against someone on grounds of gender. The judges therefore asked for the possibility of introducing a “positive gender entry”.

The parliamentary secretary of state in the German Ministry of the Interior, Günter Krings ( CDU ), pointed out that the Federal Constitutional Court called on the legislator to meet the conditions enabling the implementation of the proposed changes by the end of this year. For this reason, it became necessary to introduce in the draft amendment to the aforementioned Act new provisions, but it does not need to be associated with the reform of the law regarding transgender people.

There will be a reform of the act

The Minister for Family Affairs Franziska Giffey ( SPD ) announced, however, that in the autumn the procedure for transsexuality should also begin. In her opinion, the regulations that have been binding until now “just do not match the spirit of our times”.

Justice Minister Katarina Barley (SPD) declared for her part that “nobody can be discriminated against in any way because of their gender identity”.

Journalism graduate from the University of Tel Aviv, Israel. Writing Tech News, General life stuffs and Fashion.

Email me:  tanyasmart@theliteraryfair.com

Continue Reading

Science

They scanned the Biblical scrolls from the Dead sea, you won’t believe what they found

Published

on

Researchers investigated the Dead Sea Scrolls with state-of-the-art NASA imaging technology.

In this way, they found letters invisible to the naked eye. Many newly decoded texts belong to the Hebrew Bible, including the Book of Deuteronomy and the Book of Leviticus. One of the passages, written in Hebrew, indicates the existence of a previously unseen manuscript. This is indicated by its uniqueness. It is not similar to any text known by researchers. This leads to speculation that there may be all text that has disappeared or has not been found.

Journalism graduate from the University of Tel Aviv, Israel. Writing Tech News, General life stuffs and Fashion.

Email me:  tanyasmart@theliteraryfair.com

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: